RPAP - Primary Care Intermediate Clerkship
Catalog Description: This portion of the overall LIC curriculum occurs during the second three months of RPAP and is integrated with the other core disciplines encompassed within the LIC.
View site addresses by clicking on the site name below or visiting the site codes table.
Site will be assigned after drop/add deadline
Various sites around greater Minnesota assigned by RPAP.
Direct patient care: Yes
Consent Requirement: Arranged
- Provide culturally sensitive comprehensive care (including preventive, acute, chronic & end of life care) in the context of the patient’s family & the community
- Perform basic procedural skills essential to primary care clinicians
- Demonstrate understanding of the role of Family Medicine within a health care team
- Work effectively with local health care team members to enhance individual & community health
- Develop communication skills & sensitivity to the psychosocial, sexual & family components of medical problems
- Practice evidence-based medicine in the context of primary care
- Understand & apply the principles of preventive care
- Apply principles of quality improvement in practice improvement activities
- Identify factors that contribute to and perpetuate health disparities
- Develop the habit of reflective practice necessary for success as a life-long independent learner
- Experience a rural lifestyle & gain personal confidence & competence in assuming the role of a rural physician
- Understand fundamental aspects of rural health care including practical issues that impact care delivery, rural health care systems, and health problems specific to a rural population
- Students are evaluated during 4 Specialty Faculty Visits (SFV's) where the RPAP student prepares & presents a clinical case in the discipline of the visiting faculty, followed by a 10-15 min presentation on a topic relevant to the case.
- Community Health Assessment (CHA) proposal
- Completion of online educational modules on Care Delivery Models and Emerging Health Systems
- MedU online virtual patient cases
Grading Scale: P/N
Allow repetition of course: Repetition not allowed
Limited to Student Type: Limited to RPAP students
Course equivalency: N/A
Related curricular experience:
Course evaluation: MedHub
Additional Courses in This Program: