Surgical Specialty - Neurosurgery
Catalog Description: During the course, the student will evaluate patients in the outpatient clinic. Students will learn about basic disease processes and are encouraged to spend time in the operating room observing neurosurgical procedures. Medical students will also participate in daily teaching rounds and should attend most regularly scheduled conferences held within the department.
- UMMC-Fairview East Bank, 500 Harvard St SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455
- Clinics and Surgery Center, Neurosurgery Clinic, Floor 3, 909 Fulton St. SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455
- Hennepin County Medical Center, 701 Park Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55415
- HCMC Surgery Clinic, 716 South 7th Street Purple Building, Minneapolis, MN 55415
Required session attendance:
Typical weekly schedule/Delivery Mode: Rounds at 5:00am duties assigned by chief resident daily so end time varies on assigned duty. No weekends required but used for make-up days if needed.
Direct patient care: Yes
Consent Requirement: Arranged. Email the course coordinator to schedule.
Course Objectives: This course should provide students with an exposure to the basic neurosurgical diseases that they may encounter in any medical field. Recognition of these problems will allow future appropriate referral of these patients. In addition, students will gain:
- an exposure to the management of neurosurgical problems and emergencies;
- an exposure to the diagnosis of neurosurgical disease processes;
- an appreciation for the technical requirements of performing neurosurgery; and
- an appreciation of neurosurgery as a career.
- Clinical assessment by attending
- Participation in conferences
- Case Studies Completed
Grading Scale: P/N
Allow repetition of course: Repetition not allowed
Limited to Student Type: No
Course equivalency: N/A
Related curricular experience:
Course evaluation: MedHub