According to the Minnesota Statute S144.0574 a passing background study is required in order to have direct patient contact.
Students must go through the MN Department of Human Services NetStudy2.0 to request a MN background Study. Click on "Submit a Background Study" below to start the process.
Deadline - October 1st of MS1 fall semester
September 2021 update: It is anticipated that students who received an Emergency/COVID study will be required to complete fingerprinting and photographing (Step 2 under Submit a Background Study below) beginning in late 2021 or early 2022. Watch for an email from firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions if this applies to you.
Submit a Background Study
Part 1 of 2: Initiating the Background Study (online)
- Create an account or log in at NetStudy2.0 Applicant
- If you "register as a new user" or forgot your password, a temporary password will be sent via email@example.com email address. Use the temporary password to create or access your account.
- When creating your account we strongly encourage to include your social security number so your information is transferable to future MN background study providers (e.g. clinical sites, residency, MN employer).
- The next screen will ask for a provider number. Please make sure you use the correct campus provider number.
- Twin Cities provider number: L2NWFH
- Duluth provider number: USESET
- One from firstname.lastname@example.org with your fingerprinting payment code
- One from IDEMIA/IdentoGO with your Universal Enrollment Identification (UE ID) number and instructions for pre-enrolling and setting a fingerprinting appointment
- After you have received these emails you can start Part 2.
Part 2 of 2: Fingerprint and Photograph (in-person) - TIME SENSITIVE
- Once you receive the email with your fingerprinting payment code, you have 14 days to complete your fingerprinting and photographing step
- Pre-enroll with IDEMIA and set a fingerprinting appoinmtnet, Bring your fingerprint payment code to your appointment
- IMPORTANT: Get a receipt at your fingerprinting appointment and scan and send it to email@example.com within 2 business days of your appointment
Once your background study and fingerprint/photograph is complete, results will be mailed to you. It is important you keep the results in a secure location and available for any clinical rotation or volunteer activity that may request a copy in order to participate. You can download a replacement copy of your study from the MN Department of Human Services NetStudy2.0 website.
If the results of your background study indicate you are ineligible based on your criminal history or other history of misconduct, you will not be allowed in any clinical setting. You will be referred to the scholastic standing committee on your campus for review and possible action regarding your status as a medical student.
Changes or Corrections
If at any time your legal name changes (as listed on your background study), you are required to update your University of Minnesota student record by submitting a name change request form. You are also required to update your name and address on your study when neccassary. You can update your information via the MN Department of Human Services NetStudy2.0 website.