Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women's Health (BIRCWH) program is an internal K12 grant mechanism from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Office of Research on Women’s Health that fosters mentored research career development of junior faculty of either gender who are engaged in interdisciplinary women’s health or sex differences research. Research must be relevant to women’s health or sex/gender differences. Programs that address basic, translational, clinical, epidemiological, and health services research are encouraged to apply.
The aim of this training program is to place junior investigators on the path to be competitive for NIH independent K- or R- awards. Success of the program is judged by the number of trainees who go on to secure independent NIH K-awards and NIH R21 grants in the short term, and NIH R01, and R01 equivalent funding in the long term, for women’s health or sex differences research.
- 75% (50% Surgeon) salary support (up to $100,000 inclusive of fringe), $25,000 in research and career development support per year
- Appointment is for three years contingent on satisfactory performance
- Up to three scholars are awarded at one time
- Assistant Professor (in rank ≤ 6 years; Have no more than six years of research or research training experience beyond their last doctoral degree)
- Professional development and leadership opportunities including but not limited to National Center for Faculty Development and Diversity, OpEd Project training, etc.
- Networking and collaboration opportunities across local and national networks including but not limited to Midwest BIRCWH scholar consortium, meeting with national leaders, hosting a visiting scholar, an inside look into National Institute of Health, etc.
We are accepting new applications at this time.
Save the Date:
May 12, 10-11am CST for the Virtual Applicant Info Session. Register for the info session here.
Announcement Date: April 4, 2022
LOI Deadline (Optional): May 2, 2022
*Submit an LOI (Due May 2nd) to receive the benefit of opting in to an Application Mentor Matching Program.
Application Deadline: August 1, 2022
Award Notification: September 12, 2022
Start Date: October 1, 2022