Anesthesiology Advanced Elective
Catalog Description: This 4-week advanced rotation is focused on the medical student who is interested in pursuing a career in anesthesiology and/or desires additional anesthesia experience in managing medically complex patients undergoing medium to high-risk surgery. Students will have the opportunity to care for the aging veteran population. There will be an emphasis on managing patients with multiple co-morbid conditions undergoing cardiac and vascular surgery. Additionally, medical students will learn more advanced concepts during cases that include ENT, thoracic, and abdominal surgery. The medical student will develop skills including placing peripheral intravenous catheters, endotracheal intubation, arterial lines, and central lines. The medical student will develop a greater understanding of perioperative cardiovascular physiology/hemodynamics and pulmonary physiology, ventilator management and interpretation of data from multiple simultaneous monitors. They will function at the level of a sub-intern and will be given advanced responsibilities consistent with their level of knowledge and skill.
Daily medical student-anesthesiology attending interactions include discussion of pre-operative evaluation, anesthetic plan, implications of the plan, and care of patients in the post-operative period.
The student will spend most of his/her time in the operating room as part of an anesthesiology team paired with an anesthesiology resident or certified registered nurse anesthetist and an anesthesiology attending.
- University of Minnesota Medical Center- East Bank: 500 SE Harvard St, Minneapolis, MN 55455 (3 weeks)
- University of Minnesota Medical Center- West bank 2450 Riverside Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55454 (1 week)
- VA: Minneapolis Veterans Affair Health Care System; One Veterans Drive, Minneapolis, MN 55417
Required session attendance:
Typical weekly schedule/Delivery Mode: Monday through Friday, 6:00am-3:00pm. At Fairview site, students will need to take 1-2 call days during the rotation.
Direct patient care: Yes
Consent Requirement (arranged or open to student scheduling): Arranged. Please submit a request to schedule using the form linked below.
Course Objectives: By the end of this rotation, medical students should be able to:
- Develop a focused pre-operative evaluation, including evaluation the patient and development of a comprehensive plan with an emphasis on addressing anesthetic concerns
- Have a greater appreciation of different airway support techniques and equipment
- Evaluate the risks and benefits of different anesthetic management options
- Understand the impact of various anesthetic drugs on normal and abnormal physiology
- Have a greater appreciation for the implications of underlying systemic disease on the anesthetic care of a given patient
- Daily verbal feedback from anesthesiology attending will be provided to the medical student.
- Cumulative evaluation from anesthesiology attendings, who worked directly with the medical student will be the primary means of evaluating the medical student. Feedback from other members of the perioperative team will be taken to account.
- At the end of the rotation, the medical student will present an interesting topic inspired by a case he/she participated in to the anesthesiology team.
Grading Scale: H/E/S/N
Allow repetition of course: Repetition not allowed
Limited to Student Type: No
Course equivalency: N/A
Related curricular experience:
Course evaluation: MedHub