Family Medicine Research
Catalog Description: Study Options:
- Collaborate with a Family Medicine faculty member on an existing research project for educational credit. Nationally, we are the 4th ranked department of Family Medicine in NIH funding and have a wide variety of research projects in progress at any given time. A clearly defined role will be individualized to the student prior to the start of the elective.
- Collaborate with a Family Medicine faculty member to write up a clerkships EBM project for publication as a Help Desk Answer in the monthly publication, Evidence Based Practice. Worth 2 credits, for up to 80 hours of work. The actual writing will not all occur during the designated elective time frame and will likely span several months.
- For a student who has a well developed original research idea, it is possible to take up to 4 credits to work on their project for credit. Additional support may be available for extra weeks, funded through a separate departmental research assistant appointment. Any interested student will need to prepare a detailed written proposal and meet with the course directors to present this idea before registering for the elective.
Unspecified Site for Academic/Research Purposes
Site assigned based on project
Required session attendance:
Typical weekly schedule/Delivery Mode: Schedules vary as dictated by the type of research. 1 credit = a minimum of 40 hours of work
Direct patient care: No
Consent Requirement: Arranged. Please email the course coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule.
Course Objectives: The student will:
- Learn research skills through collaboration with a faculty member of the Department of Family Medicine.
- Identify parameters and methodological components of family medicine research.
- Develop Basic Knowledge and skills essential for academic careers in family medicine.
- Obtain a publication (in the case of the Help Desk Answer option above).
- Clinical assessment by course director
Grading Scale: P/N
Allow repetition of course: Repetition allowed up to 2 times
Limited to Student Type: No
Course equivalency: N/A
Related curricular experience:
Course evaluation: MedHub