Introduction to Otolaryngology
Catalog Description: This elective is intended for early 3rd-year students interested in exploring the specialty of ENT. This course will include clinical experiences in the specialty and interactive presentations emphasizing primary care problems related to the field. Students will see patients during their evaluation, participate in their care, and observe major head, neck, otologic or reconstructive procedures. Students should read from Primary Care Otolaryngology, Third Edition, American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery Foundation; editor, Mark K. Wax et al., 2011. This textbook is available in its entirety online at www.entnet.org/EducationAndResearch/primaryCare.cfm.
- DU: Duluth
- HC: Otolaryngology (ENT) Clinic, Fourth Floor, Hennepin Healthcare's Clinic & Specialty Center, 715 South 8th St, Minneapolis, MN 55404
- RH: Regions Hospital, 640 Jackson Street, St. Paul, MN 55101/ HealthPartners, 401 Phalen Blvd, St. Paul, MN 55130, ENT Clinic, 4th floor
Required session attendance:
Typical weekly schedule/Delivery Mode: M-F, 6:00am-6:00pm. Independent Learning Time: On the second Wednesday of each month and the fourth Friday of each month, medical students on the ENT service are excused at noon.
Direct patient care: Yes
Consent Requirement: Open to student scheduling
Course Objectives: This course provides orientation to all areas of general ENT work, allowing the student to observe and work with ENT-related problems seen in family practice, general medicine, or pediatrics.
At the end of this elective, the student will be able to:
- Know the common content areas seen by an ENT specialist and principal reasons for consultation and referral
- Acquire skills to obtain otolaryngologic histories and perform head and neck examinations
- Gain understanding of specialized examinations such as microscopic ear exam, rhinoscopy, laryngoscopy and audiological testing
- Observe a variety of common surgical procedures, such as nasal and sinus surgery, tracheostomy, myringotomy with insertion of ventilating tubes, ear and mastoid surgery, tonsillectomy, head and neck cancer surgery
- Utilize online learning modules (Clinical Otolaryngology Online) and Primary Care Otolaryngology text to ensure coverage of breadth of ENT experience as reflected in case log and objectives
- Clinical assessment by attending
Grading Scale: P/N
Allow repetition of course: Repetition not allowed
Limited to Student Type: No
Course equivalency: N/A
Related curricular experience:
Course evaluation: MedHub