Rural Rotation in Family Medicine
Catalog Description: This course is intended for students interested in observing and participating in Family Medicine in the rural setting. Students participate in patient care in the patient's home, in long-term facilities, in the doctor's office and in the hospital. Students observe close interrelationships between practicing physicians and the community. The goals of the rotation include: 1)Student will develop comfort with rural competencies, 2) make do with what they have, 3) practice with skills and competence in professions and disciplines outside of their own, 4) have comfort with isolation, and 5) Having the disposition window always running regarding can we care for this here, if not where and how fast?
Sites: Various rural clinical sites throughout the states of Minnesota and Wisconsin
Required session attendance:
Typical weekly schedule/Delivery Mode: M-F, 8:00am-5:00pm, varies by site
Direct patient care: Yes
Consent Requirement: Arranged. Please submit a request to schedule using the form linked below.
Course Objectives: This course will provide opportunities for students to participate in the delivery of medical care in a rural clinic setting and to observe referral and consultation procedures.
The student will be able to:
- explain the role of a primary care physician and identify the problems involved in starting and maintaining a practice.
- formulate values and goals in relation to family medicine.
- describe the interrelations of family, colleagues, patients, and community in the role of the family physician.
take a complete history, do a physical exam, and interpret and integrate the results of diagnostic testing into a treatment plan.
- describe and perform medical procedures.
- describe the way a family physician deals with psychosocial, sexual, and family problems.
- use allied health personnel and explain the importance of good interprofessional relationships.
- understand the team approach to health care delivery.
- Clinical Assessment by attending
Grading Scale: H/E/S/N
Allow repetition of course: Repetition not allowed
Limited to Student Type: No
Course equivalency: N/A
Related curricular experience:
Course evaluation: MedHub