USMLE Step 1 Structured Preparation Course
Catalog Description: In this independent study course, students will engage in full-time review for their national USMLE Step 1 examination. Although the components of the course are designed for self-directed learning, students will have the opportunity for regular knowledge check ins and for one-on-one meetings with learner development staff on an as-needed basis. The focus of the course is to prepare for a passing score, not to achieve a high score. Specifically, students will:
- Work with the Office of Learner Development (OLD) to create and submit a study plan based on the CQA model [template to be provided]
- Take a minimum of two NBME (CBSSA) Step 1 self-assessments during the course and share results with OLD
- Submit weekly progress reports based on the C-Q-A process
Sites: OL: Online learning
Required session attendance:
Typical weekly schedule/Delivery Mode: Variable independent study
Direct patient care: No
Consent Requirement: Open to student scheduling
Course Objectives: To successfully complete this course, students will be able to do the following for USMLE Step1 preparation:
- Identify strengths, deficiencies, and limits in one's knowledge and expertise (PBLI1).
- Set learning and improvement goals (PBLI2).
- Incorporate feedback into daily practice (PBLI5).
The course is graded on participation only. A passing grade is obtained by completing all of the requirements including submission of a study plan, weekly submission of study progress, and completion of two self-assessments. Optional content processes related to high-yield discipline areas (e.g., biochemistry, pathology, microbiology) will also be provided.
Grading Scale: P/N
Allow repetition of course: Repetition not allowed
Limited to Student Type: No
Course equivalency: N/A
Related curricular experience: N/A
Course evaluation: MedHub