Flex 5 Individualized Sub-internship
Director of Student Affairs
Catalog Description: Students accepted into the Flex 5 program may need additional sub-internship experiences for their portfolio. In the case where there is not another specialty-specific course in the medical school catalog for which the Flex 5 student can enroll, the Interdisciplinary Flex 5 Individualized Sub-internship will provide an option for an additional experience in the student’s chosen specialty. Experiences under this course will build upon the knowledge and skills learned during their core clerkships and previous advanced experiences, and further improve their clinical skills in their specialty of choice.
View site codes table
Site will be assigned after drop/add deadline
|Sites vary by situation|
Required session attendance:
Typical weekly schedule/Delivery Mode: Varies by situation.
Direct patient care: Yes
Consent Requirement (arranged or open to student scheduling): Arranged. Please submit the Flex 5 Individualized Sub-Internship Request form to schedule.
- Allow the student to be responsible for direct management and care of patients. Students are expected to assume more responsibility for patient care than in the core clerkships.
- Provide students an “acting internship” experience, including but not limited to:
- Inpatient = primary workup of new patients, write orders, perform procedures, participate in daily care, take night call, write notes, and dictate discharge summary.
- Outpatient = accept direct responsibility for patients, including serving as the first to encounter the patient, perform procedures under supervision, counsel patients, and write notes and orders.
- Provide adequate volume and complexity of patients to support an acting internship experience. Provide opportunities for patient follow-up.
- Provide knowledge, skills, and attitudes that will enhance development as a well-rounded physician.
Graded Components: Clinical evaluation of student by preceptor (standard form) submitted to course director for final award of grade.
Grading Scale: H/E/S/N
Allow repetition of course: Up to 3 repetitions, totaling 24 credits
Limited to Student Type: Flex 5
Course equivalency: N/A
Related curricular experience: