University of Minnesota Medical School Visiting Student Announcement - COVID-19 Update
As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, the University of Minnesota Medical School has decided to suspend all visiting student rotations through the 2020-2021 academic year (June 30,2021). Our heartfelt apologies to those students who had planned a rotation here. We will resume visiting student electives as soon as it is consistent with the University's response to the COVID-19 pandemic and the Minnesota Department of Public Health recommendations. We hope to resume our exchange activities by July 2021.
Due to the large number of foreign medical student applicants to the University of Minnesota Medical School, we have found it necessary to restrict registration of students to those applying from institutions with which we have affiliation agreements.
The required criteria are listed below. Only students identified by the visiting institutions Dean's office will be considered. Two students per site are accepted per academic year.
Formally affiliated sites
If you attend one of these schools you may be eligible for an elective at the University of Minnesota. You should contact your international program's office for application details.
- Makerere University, Kampala, Uganda
- Selian Lutheran Hospital, Arusha, Tanzania
- St. John’s Medical College, Bangalore, India
- Kasturba Medical College, India
- Baruch Padeh – Poriya Hospital, Tiberias, Israel
- Keio University, Tokyo, Japan
- Juntendo University, Tokyo, Japan
- Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea
- Chiang Mai University, Thailand
- Mahidol University, Thailand
- The National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland
- Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
- Pontificia Unversidad Catolica de Chile, Santiago, Chile
- Universidad de Ciencias Medicas (UCIMED) San Jose, Costa Rica
- Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico (UNAM) Mexico City, Mexico
Required criteria for approved visiting international medical student applications. Please make sure all application materials are sent in one email to Shannon Benson at firstname.lastname@example.org. A letter of invitation will be initiated once complete application material has been received from the sending institution. Confirmation of travel dates can be made in advance and course availability/registration will be determined at least 6 weeks prior to visit.
- We must have a letter from the dean of the foreign medical school stating that the student is a current medical student in good academic standing and a copy of the student's c.v. and transcript. Visiting students should be in their final year of medical school.
- Rotations must be taken according to the U of M Medical School calendar. We cannot make arrangements for start dates other than those established. Please identify the dates that you would like to visit the U of M.
- Courses are generally 4-week electives in medicine, pediatric, surgical subspecialties. International students are limited to a maximum of 12 weeks at the U of M. Students should have completed major basic clinical rotations in medicine, pediatrics, surgery, obstetrics, and psychiatry before applying. Please refer to curriculum information for course information. Visiting students are not eligible for courses listed as required. Please select 3 or 4 courses that are of interest and we will do our best to accommodate your request.
- Housing is the responsibility of the visiting student. For some available options, view a housing options resource sheet.
- Health Insurance is the responsibility of the visiting student.
- Complete and submit this Immunization Form.