Year 4 Medical Students
Contact for more information
Shannon Benson, firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are a 4th-year student (we encourage travel later in your 4th year), in good academic standing, and interested in participating in a Global Medical Education and Research (GMER) elective (INMD 7565 - Global Health Abroad) - then now is the time to start planning!
Sites to consider
Students are encouraged to plan their global health experience at one of GMER's partner sites.
If you are interested in a non-affiliated site, Course Director approval is required.
- You must be in good academic standing.
- You must be at the international site for a minimum of 4 weeks to be eligible for credit.
- You must complete the Planning Process steps by August 15th.
- Schedule your 1:1 meeting with Dr. Kesler before the August 15th deadline. (Contact Shannon Benson, email@example.com, to schedule.)
- Review website for site selection and logistical information
- Develop your learning objectives and goals for this experience before your 1:1 meeting.
- Contact Shannon if you would like more information about the sites available
- After you've selected your site, time for travel, and completed your 1:1 meeting with the GMER course director, you can then initiate your GMER online contract and get site application material from Shannon. This online application includes U of M requirements and international health insurance. Once you sign and submit, it will go to the GMER course director you've selected for approval and then to Shannon as your major coordinator for approval.
Prior to departure
Now - August 15th
- Develop goals and objectives
- Contact Shannon to schedule a time to meet with GMER course director
- Select your site
- Plan your proposed travel dates
- Travel Award Applications are due annually on August 15th
September - Until time of travel
- Gather information RE: the application materials for your chosen site
- Start the GMER online contract
- To add INMD 7565 on your schedule complete the schedule change request form. You will be notified when your schedule is updated.
- Visit a Travel Clinic for vaccinations and health recommendations
- Check to see if your passport is valid for 6 months beyond dates of travel.
- If conducting research, consider Institutional Review Board (IRB) requirements
- Final check-in with GMER course director if necessary
While abroad (suggested, not required)
- Write in a journal for personal reflection
- Submit your mentor evaluation and 2-page reflection essay in order to receive a pass/fail grade. We ask that this is submitted within 30 days of return.
- Schedule a mandatory debrief meeting with GMER course director.