Rural Observation Experience (ROE)
Applications for the Rural Observation Experience are now open! Apply here.
The Rural Observation Experience (ROE) is a 2-3 day shadowing experience with a rural family physician. Students see first-hand the rewards and challenges of rural medicine.
Any incoming first-year medical student at the University of Minnesota Medical School, Duluth or Twin Cities campus, may apply.
There are no prerequisites. We make every effort to place every student who applies, but in the event where there are not enough site placements available, a lottery will be held to determine participation.
- May 22 - Application opens
- June 18 - Student applications due/Application closes
- July 7 - Students will be matched/notified after the application closes, all site placements announced by July 7
- July 13 - Virtual Orientation, noon-1pm (*Must attend orientation to participate in ROE)
- July 17 - August 11 - Timeframe for your 2-3 day shadowing experience
- Ashland, WI*
- Big Fork*
- Blue Earth*
- Cambridge / Isanti**
- Eau Claire, WI*
- Grand Rapids*
- Granite Falls*
- Lake City*
- Moose Lake*
- New Prague*
- New Ulm*
- North Branch**
- St. James*
- Thief River Falls*
- Two Harbors**