2020-2021 Statement on Medical Student Away Rotations
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, please see this statement regarding limitations to away rotations for the 2020-2021 academic year.
Away Rotation Basics
- Away Rotation Basics and Frequently Asked Questions - General information on who typically completes and away rotation and why, which may help in deciding whether or not completing an away rotation is the right fit.
- Program Director Survey - Report that is put out by NRMP each year that gives information about what program directors are looking for with applicants from all specialties. Includes information about the importance of away rotations. Scroll down to bottom of the page for the links.
- Away Rotations by Specialty from the GQ 2019 Questionnaire - This fact sheet provides the number of away rotations reported by U.S. medical school students who graduated in academic year 2018‐2019 and responded to the 2019 Graduation Questionnaire (GQ), by intended future specialty.
- Faculty Advisor List
Preparation for Applications
- Checklist to use for each school - Resource to track pertinent information for each application. Not all of the information will be applicable for every school or program.
- Documents to gather and where to find them - Common documents that are requested by away rotation sites and instructions on where to go to obtain documentation if needed.
- Affiliation agreements - Sites that we have worked with and have an established affiliation agreement. Contact email@example.com immediately if working with a site that is requesting an affiliation agreement.
- Where students have gone in the past - A general list of the number of students by institution and department.
- Site evaluations of previous away rotation sites - Site evaluations filled out by former students that provide additional information that may help with the decision of where to rotate.
- List of students willing to be contacted - Since this has student contact information in it, it is protected by UMN x500 and requires a sign in using @umn.edu (rather than @d.umn.edu).
- Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS) - Students are able to view different institutions and search the electives offered though the "Search Electives" feature.
Apply for Away Rotations
- VSAS Fees and FAQ
- VSAS Application Instructions - Guides put out by VSAS on how to utilize the system.
- What we verify for VSAS students - firstname.lastname@example.org verifies each of these items before releasing the students' applications to the other institution.
- For direct applications, please enter email@example.com if asked for an email for verification.
- Once students have accepted away rotations, they can complete the INMD 7555 application, also found in the course directory, to have it added to their schedule.
Attend Away Rotations
- To receive a grade for the course, students will work with the rotation to have a performance assessment completed. The clinical performance assessment form can be used and uploaded with this link. The form and upload link can also be found in the course directory.
- Students must complete an evaluation of their elective away in MedHub after the completion of their course.