2022-2023 Statement on Medical Student Away Rotations
For the 2022-2023 academic year, the AAMC and its Coalition for Physician Accountability partners have concluded that there are no restrictions in place for 2022 away rotations.
Away Rotation Basics
- Away Rotation Basics and Frequently Asked Questions - General information on who typically completes and away rotation and why, which may help in deciding whether or not completing an away rotation is the right fit.
- Program Director Survey - Report that is put out by NRMP each year that gives information about what program directors are looking for with applicants from all specialties. Includes information about the importance of away rotations. Scroll down to bottom of the page for the links.
- Faculty Advisor List
- Specialty Experts List
Preparation for Applications
- Checklist to use for each school - Resource to track pertinent information for each application. Not all of the information will be applicable for every school or program.
- Documents to gather and where to find them - Common documents that are requested by away rotation sites and instructions on where to go to obtain documentation if needed.
- Affiliation agreements - Sites that we have worked with and have an established affiliation agreement. Contact email@example.com immediately if working with a site that is requesting an affiliation agreement.
- The UMN Medical School does not require affiliation agreements with other LCME accredited medical schools. We do require affiliation agreements with teaching hospitals and sites hosting individualized experiences. Please reach out to the VSLO coordiantor to set up an affiliation agreement if you plan to participate in an away rotation at a teaching hospital or if you plan to pursue an individualized experience for your away rotation.
- Other LCME accredited medical schools may require an affiliation agreement with the UMN as a prerequisite to your participation. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org immediately if working wtih a site that is requesting an affilaition agreement.
- Where students have gone in the past - A general list of the number of students by institution and department.
- Site evaluations of previous away rotation sites - Site evaluations filled out by former students that provide additional information that may help with the decision of where to rotate.
- List of students willing to be contacted - Since this has student contact information in it, it is protected by UMN x500 and requires a sign in using @umn.edu (rather than @d.umn.edu).
- Visiting Student Learning Opportunities (VSLO) - Students are able to view different institutions and search the electives offered though the "Search Electives" feature.
- Please consider the timing of the Clinical Competency Assessment, which is required for graduation, in your plans.
Apply for Away Rotations
- VSLO Fees and FAQ
- VSLO Application Instructions - Guides put out by VSLO on how to utilize the system.
- For direct applications, please enter email@example.com if asked for an email for verification.
- Once students have accepted away rotations, they can complete the INMD 7554/7555 application, also found in the course directory, to have it added to their schedule.
Attend Away Rotations
- To receive a grade for the course, students will work with the rotation to have a performance assessment completed. The clinical performance assessment form can be used and uploaded with this link. The form and upload link can also be found in the course directory.
- Students must complete an evaluation of their elective away in MedHub after the completion of their course.